Self Service Data Access
Streamline access to data through secure self-service data access workflows.
In most organizations, data consumers need to go through a multi-step process to get access to datasets:
- Access request - data consumers need to find the dataset they want to access, and submit an access request.
- Approval flow - access requests need to go through an approval flow, usually involving the business unit that owns the dataset.
- Implementation - approved requests go to a technical team for implementation either in the Identity and Access Management (IAM) system or the data store.
This is usually slow and cumbersome and generates a lot of overhead on IT or data engineering teams who need to respond to tickets to implement approved access requests.
A better approach is to use automation and workflows to streamline this process. When data consumers try to access datasets they don't have permissions for, Satori allows them to trigger an approval workflow. Access requests are reviewed by pre-defined data stewards that can decide the scope and level of access of each request. Once the request is approved, it is automatically implemented by Satori, allowing data consumers to query the data.
- Datasets can include one or more tables across any number of data stores.
- A dataset can have several data stewards.
- Data stewards can assign permissions to users or groups.
- Permissions can be time limited.
- Permissions can be revoked automatically if unused.
- Users that do not have permissions can submit an access request to data stewards.
- Data stewards can define which users or groups are allowed to get access to datasets without requiring approval.
- Every access request, approval or rejection is audited.
- Additional security policies like dynamic masking can be applied in conjunction with dataset permissions.
To get started with self service data access, follow these steps:
Create and configure a dataset
- Create a new dataset in the management console
- Add the relevant tables, schemas or databases to the dataset
- Optionally set one or more data stewards for the dataset
Configure access controls for the dataset
Define access permissions and optionally enable access requests and self-service access.